Sign the petition to Number 10

Click on the following link to learn about Trans Fats and sign the petition against them being used in food manufacturing: http://www.tfx.org.uk/page0.html

Friday 27 April 2007

Evaluation week 2

No problems sticking to the plan this week. Although I've had some very different days. I felt totally exhausted on Wednesday all day but Thursday and Friday I felt really well and full of energy. My blood glucose is coming back under control nicely (I lost control over Easter weekend by eating what my family and friends would consider to be a "normal" diet) so I'm pleased with this weeks progress.

On Thursday I printed out the whole thread by carefix and read it again thouroughly. I've also just been reading Dr Atkins vita-nutrient solution - your complete guide to natural health (I picked it up in Woolworths for £1). What a surprise! I didn't know Dr Atkins was a 'champion of complementary medicine'. The book basically corroborates the arguments by carfeix concerning hydrogenated and vegetable oils in the diet. The book is full of information about the role of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, antioxidants and herbs and how they can be used to
help alleviate many conditions including diabetes. Dr Atkins mentions several vitamins and minerals beneficial for diabetics which I think I already have covered with the supplements I take. One thing I might start to include is Lipoic Acid. I've seen it mentioned on the forum and according to Dr Atkins it is a proven diabetic treatment.

On the food front I'm on a mission to find the nicest wholemeal pitta bread - so far Sainsburys is in front with a softer texture and breadier taste than Tescos cardboard like pittas. I stick em in the toaster, spread with a bit of butter and call me odd but I think they're quite delicious! I'll have to try Marks next though.

My local health food shop stock some unusual breads like sprouted grain sunflower bread. Very good ingredients - just sprouted sunflower seeds, linseed oil and water. I bought one to try but have to say I didn't like it much. Must be an 'acquired taste' I think.

I've also been checking the ingredients on other breads, some of them contain palm oil (apparently a saturated fat) which carefix doesn't make mention of, so I'm erring on the side of caution and not touching it. So far I haven't been able to find anything in the supermarket (other than pitta bread) that I think would be uncontaminated with trans isomer fats.

Time to start baking perhaps? Googling for oil free bread I found some great sites with loads of fat/oil free recipes including all manner of breads (yippee!) I've put the links on the blog for anyone who might want a look. They are vegetarian/vegan but don't let that put you off! I also found some good sources for hemp & flax seed oil. Incidentally I buy my hemp seed oil from a medical herbalist who also told me that all oils must be kept refrigerated once opened.

I got my HBA1c and cholesterol results on Friday which were quite good considering my transgressions over Easter. HBA1c was 6.8 and cholesterol was 4.5. My aim is to maintain this control and maybe even improve it through continuing to eat well, avoiding all white refined carbohydrates (which I did anyway) and processed food containing hydrogenated or vegetable oil.

Weight hasn't moved yet but I think this may change in the coming weeks.

I won't be able to post on the the blog next bank holiday weekend as I will be away. I have to say I'm a little concerned about managing my diet away from home but I'm determined to do it. At least I'm not going abroad.

Thanks for reading this weeks post, have a lovely bank holiday. I'll let you know how I got on away from home in a fortnight.

Carol

1 comment:

wildering said...

Good Luck Carol, from all the team at Diabetes.co.uk